Tuesday, August 27, 2019

My Favorite Books 6-10

This is the continuation of my 25 favorite books list.


10. My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris
My Favorite Thing is Monsters maybe the greatest graphic novel I have ever read. Too often  graphic novels are viewed as the "superhero only" medium. But it presents a really unique way to tell a story, and I feel that My Favorite Thing is Monsters really showcases all of the possibilities that graphic novels offer. The artwork is exquisite, the story is engaging, and it left me wanting more. I cannot wait for volume two to be released.


9. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
This was the first Hercule Poirot novel I ever read, and it is still my favorite. What makes Poirot so unique as a detective is he doesn't need his fists to solve crimes, he just needs his "little grey cells". His stories are action packed, and he hardly ever throws a punch. Murder on the Orient Express is a great example of this. If you have never read it before, please read it when there is a slight chill in the air.


8. About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Nick Hornby is the write I would love to be like. That is if I wrote well and had good ideas. The way he connects music and pop culture to his narratives is beyond engaging. His characters are flawed, human, and so relatable that I usually finish a novel of his within a couple of days. About a Boy captures a young boy's need for a mentor like no other book. It's funny, heart warming, and laugh out-loud funny. It's one of those books I can't wait to read again.




7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
What can I say about To Kill a Mockingbird that hasn't already been said? It is probably the greatest piece of American literature ever written. It's incredible, and if you have never read it, stop what you are doing and read it. Now!






6. The Illustrated Man by Rad Bradbury 
I'm still very new to the works of Ray Bradbury. I've only been reading him on a regular basis for about four years, but for my money The Illustrated Man is my favorite of his. It's a collection of short stories that explore the human condition through science fiction and fantasy. It's funny, Bradbury never saw himself as a science fiction author, yet that is how we all view him. (He view himself more as an author of literature, like Mark Twain, Jules Vern, and Conan-Doyle.) But there are stories in this collection that legit terrified me.

If you are looking into reading more short stories, The Illustrated Man is a perfect collection to start with.

No comments: