Friday, August 30, 2019

Favorite Books 16 - 20

This is the continuation of my 25 favorite books list. 

20. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
It took me over two years to read this book from the library. That's how long the waitlist was for it. And it was well worth the wait. What author Amor Towles does is create a tale that is so vivid, heartfelt, and engaging that you're finished with the book before you know it. There are so many characters in this book that you will absolutely love, that I don't even want to mention them all, in fear of forgetting one. All I can say is read this book. It will not disappoint you. 




19. Symphony for the City of the Dead by M.T. Anderson
One of the great joys of my current job is I get to produce a classical music show with a professor at my university. And over with these past five years, I have developed a brand new appreciation for classical music. I no longer view it as the music of the upper class, or stuffy individuals. I now see it as the music of the people. One of the most famous symphonies is the Symphony Number 7, the Leningrad Symphony by Dimitri Shostakovich. 

Written during the siege of Leningrad, Shostakovich wrote the 7th symphony, which would go on to inspire the allies during the Second World War, and helped turn the tide. Anderson's account of how Shostakovich wrote the symphony is incredible. If I were to teach a history class about World War II, this would be required reading along with book 17 of my list.  


18. Normal People by Sally Rooney
This was the first book I read this summer, and it was incredible. So incredible in fact that when I finished it, I was so tempted to start it all over again. If you were to follow up with me a year from now, I guarantee you that this book will be MUCH higher on my list. The only reason why it's lower is because I just read it, and I'm still processing it. In fact, no book has really compared to it, since I've read it. Go out of your way, and read Normal People. It is a one of a kind novel. 



17. When Books Went to War by Molly Guptill Manning
The period of Great Depression and World War II utterly fascinates me. But I really don't like reading about the war per se. I like reading little, unusually stories about the war, or this time period. Some random fact that once you learn about it, utterly changes the way you view the event. That's what "When Books Went to War" did for me. Molly Guptill Manning presents a very human side of World War II, that once you see, changes your entire perception of the War. Again, if I were teaching a course on World War II, this would be a required text for the students to read. 



16. Superman: The Man of Steel Volume 1 by John Byrne 
I love Superman. He is my favorite superhero, and I am utterly drawn into the character's world which is full of a great supporting cast, optimism, and hope. For me, he will always be the greatest superhero, and John Byrne one of his greatest writers. When Byrne took over the character after the Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot of 1986, he changed Superman forever. By making Clark Kent the real guy and Superman the disguise, Byrne gave us a character that we can relate to. For me, this is the definitive interpretation of the character, and a must read for every fan of the superhero genre. 

2 comments:

Matt Maldre said...

Interesting. Superman is the disguise, not Clark Kent. Can you elaborate?

Chi-Town Kid 83 said...

So when Superman was first published, the writers wrote Superman as the "real" person, and Clark Kent as the disguise. So the character would refer to himself as Superman. His real personality was when he was Superman. But when Byrne took over writing, he switched it. He made Clark Kent the real personality for two reasons. One he felt that Clark Kent is more relatable than Superman. And second, growing up, he was a fan of the George Reeves Superman television show. On that show, Reeves preferred playing Kent, and hence was mostly Kent until the very end when he turned into Superman to save the day. So it was a little nod back to that show too.