Thursday, August 29, 2019

Favorite Books 11- 15

This is the continuation of my 25 favorite books list.




15. The Bradbury Chronicles by Sam Weller
This is the book that made me a fan of Ray Bradbury. I was walking through the Beverly branch of the Chicago public library, and I spotted it. I picked it up, read the dust jacket, and decided that I should give it a shout. Boy was that a great decision. So much so, I did a podcast on the experience. But I think what I appreciate the most about this book is that it is such a well written biography. By the time I finished reading it, I felt like Ray Bradbury was my new friend. For me, that's an example of a great book. 






14. Where There's Love, There's God By Mother Theresa 
I vividly remember weeping within a page or two of starting this book. Like the Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything, this book spoke to me in a way that I didn't know I needed it. It change my spiritual perspective, and helped strengthen my faith. I also feel like it gave me a better understanding of humanity. 







13. Bossypants by Tina Fey
I read Bossypants in a day, and loved every single page. What can I say...it made me fall in love with Tina Fey all over again. She truly is my dream woman. But back to the book. It's a wonderful memoir. One that will have you laughing until you're crying.  







12. The Revenge of Analog by David Sax
This is a very interesting book in that it made me re-think how I interact with technology on a daily basis. David Sax does an incredible job of showcasing why "the real" matters, and why "the real" will never really be replaced. Like the Bradbury Chronicle, this books served as the basis of a podcast episode. Instead of sharing that, I've chosen to share the straight up interview with Sax. It's a wonderful listen, and I think a perfect companion to reading this excellent book. 





11. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
At my core, I am a hopeless romantic, and The Sun Also Rises is a book about romance. Part of that great year of reading in high school, this introduction to the writing of Oak Park's native son showed me that short, precise sentences can elicit great emotions from the reader. This is my all time favorite Hemingway novel, and one that I try to read on a bi-annual basis. If you are looking for a first Hemingway book to read, this is an excellent jumping off point. 

No comments: