Sunday, August 12, 2018

Favorite Movies 20-16

About a year ago, I put together a list of my top 25 favorite albums of all time. I had a lot of fun compiling that list, so I thought I would do it again, only this time with my favorite movies. What follows is my top 20 favorite movies of all time.  Now before I get into the list, just a quick disclaimer, there is no rhyme or reason for my selections other than, my own personal preferences. A common theme throughout this listing will be that many of my selections were favorites when I was growing up, and I continue to still love them.

With that in mind, here are numbers 20-16.

20. Disney's Robin Hood (1973)



Whenever I watch this film, I smile, but interesting enough, I was never a hardcore Disney fan. Which is surprising because I came of age during a "Golden Era" of Disney films. The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast were all released when I was a young Peter. Yet, the only Disney film I ever really LOVED was Robin Hood. Its a great adventure film, which is really funny and fun to watch. To this day, there are a couple of scenes that will make me laugh out loud.

19. Wayne's World (1992)



This was the first "adult" comedy I saw growing up that I was allowed to watch, and that I got the humor. Wayne's World is a timeless movie, and I feel that a good portion of my professional career in broadcasting slightly mirrors the antics of this film. A huge bonus goes to Wayne's World for also introducing me to the music of Queen. So thank you Wayne's World.

18. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)



"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination". This is one of the opening lyrics sung by Gene Wilder as we enter the chocolate room for the first time in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I feel as though the verse I quoted above perfectly sums up this absolutely magical film. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a magical, timeless movie.

17. V For Vendetta (2005)



V For Vendetta was the film that introduced me to the works of Alan Moore. It's a serious, thought provoking film that is based off of a graphic novel, and that shows the audience that they need to take the works of graphic novels seriously. It was a real eye opener for me. Think of George Orwell's 1984 only with a "superhero" in it.

16. Frankenstein (1931)



At almost 100 years old, Universal's Frankenstein is still the gold standard of what horror films can accomplish. The iconic makeup of Jake Pierce on Boris Karloff still strikes terror in the mind of young and old alike. But what is the brilliant part of Frankenstein is the fact that, the monster isn't the villain, but is made into the villain.

1 comment:

Matt Maldre said...

I can't wait to see the full list.