Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Favorite Movies 15-11

The next installment for my "Favorite Movies" list.

15. Thor (2011)



The first Thor movie is by no means the "best" film out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it is my favorite. For me, this film has a total mythological feel to it, which I feel like majority of superhero films don't explore. Most tend to be action/adventure, or sci-fi based, and while the first Thor film does have all of the aforementioned elements, its the mythological aspect that I feel makes it different from other superhero films. It's funny, beautifully directed by Kenneth Branagh, and most importantly has a heart. It's a perfect "popcorn" film.

14. Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942)



I've always been interested in world history, specifically 20th century history. It's fascinating all the events which took place in the past 100- 118 years. Especially during World War II. I'm not so much interested in hearing about battles thought. I'm more interested in learning about what the everyday person experienced or felt like. And for me, Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror gives me a slight idea of what life was like. This film is total war propaganda, using one of the most beloved characters ever created. But it has a feeling. A feeling of dread. A feeling a fear. It's beautiful to look at, and I love watching it when it is pouring rain outside.

13. Midnight in Paris (2011)




The setting. The characters. The surrealism. All of these elements make up one of the most unique films I've ever seen. Midnight in Paris is a coming of age story, historical drama, romantic comedy, and a film that commentates on the dangers of romanticizing the past, and the necessity of moving forward in life. It's absolutely beautiful. And I hope that one day, the Ernest Hemmingway portrayed in this film, gets his own movie. I would be the first one to buy a ticket.

12. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)



So I was almost didn't see this movie in the theaters. It was a super cold evening, like sub-zero weather, and my best friend and I were debating about whether or not we should go see a movie. We finally decided to go. And guess what. I was carded. Carded to see a rated R movie. By a teenager. It should be stated that I was 29 at the time. Anyways, once we got past all of that drama, we saw Silver Linings Playbook. And it was magnificent. Being blown away by a movie you weren't expecting is such a great feeling.

11. The Post (2017)



This was one of the most important movies I've ever seen in my life. In the current political climate, this should be required viewing for anyone who wishes to become a journalist.

No comments: