Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Favorite Movies 10-6

The third installment of my 20 favorite movies of all time list.

10. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)



What a movie!! Probably my favorite romantic comedy of all time, and the film that introduced and caused me to fall in love with the one and only Audrey Hepburn. While there are a few parts of the film that are difficult to watch (I'm looking at you Mickey Rooney), I feel like Breakfast at Tiffany's captures that optimist, and almost dreamsical feel of the early 1960s. This actually might be the one of the movies that gives me the best idea of what it was like to be alive during the Kennedy administration.

9. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)



Oh man!!! What can I say about The Empire Strikes Back. It's perfect! Utterly, utterly perfect! The score, the emotions, the action, everything. I love absolutely everything about this movie. The Empire Strikes Back is the movie that sets the blueprint for sequels that aspire to be better than their original.

8. Help! (1965)



Growing up, my family and I watched a lot of PBS because we didn't have cable. Late one night, there was a movie on PBS that my sister wanted to watch, so my dad set the VCR up to record it for her. The next day she watched it, and  I was not pleased.  We only had once VCR in the house, and that meant I had to watch "her movie". Well the movie she record was Help!, and it's the movie that caused me to fall in love with The Beatles. Things have a way of working out, don't they.

7. The King's Speech (2010)



We all have that one friend who is "ahead of the trend" when it comes to what the next great movie, band, or whatever is. For me, it's my friend Gina. She introduced me to Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, and Muse. She is also the one who insisted I go with her to the movies one cold January night to see this little known British movie about Queen Elizabeth's father. The King's Speech is absolutely incredible. I love the cinematography, the story, and the music. It's one of my all-time favorites, and it could of very easily been higher on my list.

6. Batman (1989)



I was six years old when Batman was released in 1989. I still remember the hype around this movie. I remember asking my Grandma how the movie was when she saw it. (She told me I was too little to see it.) I remember waiting almost a year to watch it with my family on VHS. It was well worth the wait.  Michael Keaton is, and probably will always be my Batman. This is a great Batman movie, and one of my all time favorite superhero movies.

No comments: