Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s

I'm currently reading a biography on Sir Paul McCartney entitled: Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s by Tom Doyle. The book documents Sir Paul from right after The Beatles broke up, to his early solo career, to the formation of Wings, and finally up to the assignation of John Lennon.

I've always been curious about the individual members of the Beatles right after the break up. Plus for me at least, Paul McCartney has always been somewhat of a mystery. You never really "know" him by listening to his music. I feel the complete opposite about John Lennon and George Harrison. Both of their music is very personal, and the listener almost develops a personal connection to them by listening to their music. With Paul's music however, it is much light heart and accessible.

One of the great joys of reading this book is how it humanizes him. I feel like I am meeting Paul McCartney the person for the first time. In fact it has cause me to go back and re-evaluate a lot of his solo music, and I'm discovering some very personal lyrics. Especially on his debut solo LP McCartney. I recommend this book for any music fan.

No comments: