Tuesday, March 11, 2014

New York City... You're Pretty Awesome!

The view from my hotel room
So this past weekend, I journeyed for the first time ever to New York City for a college radio conference. I thought that I would be prepared for New York, because I've lived in Chicago my entire life. How didn't could New York City be from Chicago?

Lots as I learned. I think what blew me away the most was the speed that New York moves at. Everyone is moving at high speed all of the time. Add to that the vast amounts of people everywhere, and you get a city that lives up to its reputation of a "City That Never Sleeps".


Although, there were portions of NYC that were quite calm. The upper west side where, Strawberry Fields is very much like Lincoln Park in Chicago. I found Central Park to be very peaceful. Additionally, Greenwich Village is an amazing area. It's like a combination of Hyde Park, Oak Park, and the Gold Coast all in one. If you are ever there, visit Bleecker Street Records. It's the best record story I've ever been in, in my entire life.

I am so grateful for my experience in New York City, and I look forward to visiting it again in the near future. But it also made me appreciate Chicago, just a little bit more.

1 comment:

Matt Maldre said...

heh. i had similar experiences with my first visit to New York (I was looking at grad schools in 2003). As art majors all we ever heard was, "New York is the place to be. New York is incredible." I didn't buy the hype. Could New York really be as immense as people make it out to be?

The answer is yes. Manhattan is so immense. Their public transit system is immense. It makes ours look like a quaint toy train set.

Overall, it was too immense. I like the intimacy that Chicago has.