Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Podcasting Idea

About a year ago my friend Steve Anderson and I developed an idea for a podcast. The name of this idea is: "The Looking Glass". This potential program would examine how people became interested in their hobbies. We even came up with a tagline. "The Stories Behind Personal Interests". I really like this idea. It's a way to explore a person's story through a very personal mechanism. We all have hobbies, and we all can talk about them. But how we got into them is a much deeper story. Usually a parent, friend, or teacher introduced us to them. And this is the avenue of story-telling that I really want to explore.

Thus far I've been able to produce two episodes. The pilot episodes explores how a man, William Kalush, became interested in magic and Harry Houdini. It's one of my all-time favorite audio pieces I've created. You can hear it hear because Blogger won't let me embed two SoundCloud players in a single post.

The second episode features a person by the name of Nick Soulsby and it tells the story of how he became a fan of Nirvana. This too is an episode full of fascinating stories, and it tells the Nirvana story from a unique perspective. You can hear it below.



One of the top podcasting networks in the work is a network called Radiotopia. It is the home to such great podcasts as 99% Invisible, Love+Radio, and Fugitive Waves by the Kitchen Sisters. About a month ago, Radiotopia announced a contest where you could submit you idea for a podcast, and if you won, you could potential have your podcast join the Radiotopia network. So I decided to do something outside my comfort zone, and earlier tonight (Tuesday, April 12th, 2016) I have submitted the Looking Glass to Radiotopia for consideration.

I don't know what will happen. But I am just really happy that I did it. Of course it would be great if I advanced in the process, but in the end it really doesn't matter. I'm still going to produce this program no matter what. I'm still going to uncover really exciting stories, and share them with the world. That's a real joy.

2 comments:

Matt Maldre said...

Yeah! Way to go submitting your podcast to Radiotopia! I hope they pick it.

Chi-Town Kid 83 said...

So I looked, they had over 1,500 submissions. I'd be shocked if I got picked.