Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Star Wars: The Radio Dramas

Photo Credit: Me
Well, I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it was great. If you are a fan of old school Star Wars, then you will love the new movie. But this posting isn't a review of the new movie. No. This is a posting of something I found. Something that I cannot believe I had never heard about.

I randomly Googled Star Wars, and I came across Star Wars: The Radio Drama. In the early 1980s, NPR did a radio dramatization of the entire trilogy. Here's the absolutely fascinating article how it came to be. As a radio nerd, I could not go on without finding the trilogy and buying it. As luck would have it, I found the complete box set on Amazon. It was bought moments later.

The box set arrived today, and I've begun listening to it. Let me tell you, if you are a Star Wars fan, you must find it, and listen to it. It is absolutely terrific. The sound design is beautiful. It also features the John Williams score, and terrific voice performances. Another really cool fact is there are original story-lines interwoven into the trilogy. It's an unique addition to the Star Wars saga.

4 comments:

Matt Maldre said...

Oh wow. The Star Wars Radio Edition is 7.5 hours long? It would be interesting to hear how they extended the original movie. That clip of Leia being tortured was a bit crazy. I don't think her flesh was torn apart.

Chi-Town Kid 83 said...

I'm only on disc 3, but thus far I'm really enjoying it. It brings a really different element to the story. I think sometimes it can be a little too heavy on the back story, but it still gives you some interesting story telling moments. I'm really looking forward to hearing the Empire Strikes Back.

Matt Maldre said...

But wouldn't the backstory give additional interest? It's sorta like reading the novels for the movies.

Chi-Town Kid 83 said...

It does, but it can be a little too much at times. But I see what you are saying.