Friday, May 8, 2015

Binge Watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

So over the past two months or so, I've been binge watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I know what you are thinking, another Star Trek nerd on the Internet talking about it. Well yes and no. When I was little, I used to love watching the Star Trek movies, but I never really got into the TV shows until I watched them on Netflix. (I watched Star Trek: Next Generation about a year and a half ago. Awesome show by the way.)

I find myself really enjoying how Deep Space Nine is a character study in space. You see how these characters evolve with one another. One season a set of characters distrust one another. In the next season they are uneasy allies, and then finally in the next season they are friends. I feel like it does an excellent job mirroring everyday life. And for me, this is what makes the program relatable.

Even with the series taking place in space, it is the characters that ground it, and make it very relatable. And you don't even have to be a fan of science fiction to enjoy it. It's just a fun television show. And in an era where TV takes itself very seriously, it's enjoyable to watch a show that takes itself seriously, but can have a little fun.

No comments: