Monday, November 3, 2014

Radiotopia

www.radiotopia.fm
For the last two years, I have been a fan of the Public Radio Exchange, also known as PRX. (www.prx.org.) Essentially PRX is like a syndication network for radio programs and podcasts. On PRX broadcasters allows other radio station to purchase the broadcasting rights to their programs.

One of the main contributors to PRX is a brilliant broadcaster/podcaster named Roman Mars. His podcast 99% Invisible is without a doubt one of the best podcasts I've heard in the last year. The twist and turns of Mars' storytelling always keeps me on the edge of my seat while I listen to them. It's phenomenal.

A few weeks ago, Mars announced a Kickstarter for a new project of his called Radiotopia. It's described on Kickstarter as "[A] kind of Justice League for smart documentarians and sound artists." which is really cool.

I love the energy and excited that is project is creating for radio and podcasting. It's refreshing to know that it is still a viable medium, and that "radio" can be so good, that people will spend their hard earned money supporting it. This could be the start of something big.

No comments: