Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Whole New Appreciation for Arcade Fire's Reflektor

www.wikipedia.org
When it was released back in October of 2013, Arcade Fire's fourth LP Reflektor left me feeling a little lost. You see, it didn't sound like a typical Arcade Fire album. Being produced by James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, Reflektor had a techno/dance element that, at the time, I thought didn't match who Arcade Fire was as a band. Because of this, whenever I went to listen to Arcade Fire, Reflektor always was at the bottom. Until today.

I had a great conversation with a current student of mine who just started listening to Arcade Fire's catalog, and as we were talking he told me about how much he enjoyed Reflektor. It got me thinking that I haven't listen to the album in awhile, so I figured I would throw it on and give it a listen to. Within 30 seconds of listening to the first song, I was immediately hooked! There are some absolutely fantastic songs on this album. Reflektor, We Still Exist, Here Comes the Night, and Afterlife are some great examples that stand out in my minds eye.

But as I was listening, I think it dawned on me why I'm beginning to appreciate this record now. It's David Bowie. Up until this year, I wasn't the biggest David Bowie fan in the world. I appreciated his music, but wouldn't describe myself as a fan. After his untimely death, I went and begin exploring his catalog, and began to understand his greatness. Reflektor is a "David Bowie" style record. It has a distinct dance, art, indie pop sound that Bowie perfected over the course of his 40 plus year career.

I think it is safe to say that it is because of David Bowie's music that I now appreciate Arcade Fire's Reflektor. And a nice hidden surprise, Bowie is a guest vocalist on the album's title track. I've included it below.


No comments: