Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Superman: Truth. An Intriguing Storyline Idea

www.newsarama.com
I've been on a comic/graphic novel kick. Thus far this year I've read 4 out of the 8 volumes of John Byrne's run on Superman during the 1980s, IDW's complete series run (9 volumes total) on the Ghostbusters, and the legendary Green Arrow/Green Lantern cross over from the 1970s. I can't get enough of it. Needless to say I've been on the outlook for any story lines that may catch my eye.

About two weeks ago, I read that DC is revamping Superman. I must admit when I first read this I thought to myself: "Not this again". However as I read more about it, the more intrigued I became. The story line is entitled: "Truth" and it tells the tale of Superman losing majority of his powers, AND more importantly his secret identity being exposed by none other than..... Lois Lane.

This seemed like something new for me, and so this past weekend I went to my local area comic book stores to find the first four issues that compose the beginning arch of this story. I can only say this, they are FANTASTIC!! This story arch is doing an excellent job of examining what makes Superman, well, Superman. That it isn't the powers, but the man.

It is also exploring Superman's relationships with four key characters: Wonder Woman, Batman, the city of Metropolis (yes the city is a character), and most importantly Lois Lane. The reader doesn't know yet why Lois exposed Superman's secret identity of Clark Kent to the public yet (the story is being told non-linearly), but thus far it's doing an amazing job showcasing how these two characters depend on one another. Even after Lois does this drastic thing.

I cannot wait to see how this story ends.  

1 comment:

Matt Maldre said...

Etymonline explains the origin of the word "super":

"first-rate, excellent," 1837, from prefix in superfine (1680s), denoting "highest grade of goods," from Latin super "above, over, beyond"

Sounds like this series is fitting to the origin of the word super.