Friday, May 29, 2020

The History of Q101 with JVO


Last week, something took place, which reminded me why I love radio. 101WKQX's morning show did a 34 hour radioathon to raise money for Chicago music venues. The cause was great, but the content was even better. Hosts Brian, Ali, and Justin were able to break the "modern radio rules", and go old school with the broadcast. Talking segments were substantial and entertaining, deep cuts were played, and you never knew who was going to call in.

It was awesome! It had the vibe that anything could happen, and if you turned your radio off, you would miss something important. It made me I feel nostalgic about old school radio, specifically old Q101. So I went to my bookcase and starting thumbing through James VanOsdol's book on Q101 'We Appreciate Your Enthusiasm: The Oral History of Q101.'

It's a great book, and if you are any bit curious about the history of one of Chicago's most infamous radio stations, it's a must read. The book also lead to one of my all-time favorite interviews, James VanOsdol known on-air as JVO. Growing up, JVO was my favorite DJ, so talking to him was a BIG deal for me. Listening back to this interview makes me smile. 

I've included it here. *



*Soundcloud appears to be down and won't let me embed the file. Once this issue is fixed, I'll embed.
**The share button has returned!!!


No comments: