Monday, June 18, 2018

Favorite Albums of 2018 Thus Far

It's difficult to believe, but we've reached the halfway point of 2018. With that in mind, I think now would be an appropriate time to reflect on some of the new music that has been released this year that I've really digging thus far.

1. Ry Cooder: The Prodigal Son



As of right now, Ry Cooder's The Prodigal Son is my favorite album of 2018. The sound, the lyrics, they are so full of hope and soul. Absolutely incredible.

2. Lord Huron: Vide Noir



Another excellent album from Lord Huron. Not as "folkies" as Lonesome Dreams, but just as good.

3. We Are Scientists: Megaplex


An absolutely perfect indie-pop album. My favorite We Are Scientists album since 2008's "Brain Thrust Mastery". 

4. Moby: Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt


Moby is a machine. Three albums in three years. This one really reminds me of his 1996 album "Animal Rights". 

5. I'm With Her: See You Around



I'm with Her really reminds me of the Punch Brothers, which is a good thing. A really good alt-country/folk album.

6. Andrew W.K.: You're Not Alone



It's an Andrew W.K. album. Enough said.

7. Middle Western: When Your Demons are Underground, and You've Got to Dig Them Up

No YouTube videos are available. The best way I can explain them is, William Elliott Whitmore with a band. (Because that's what it is...)

8. Mastersystem: Dance Music


Sadly, this is Scott Hutchinson's final album released in his lifetime. It's totally different from Frightened Rabbit, but still features Hutchinson's powerful lyrics. 

No comments: