Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Revenge of Analog

Photo Credit: www.amazon.com
I was browsing a book store in Hyde Park two weeks ago, and I came across a book by David Sax entitled "The Revenge of Analog". The theme of the book is how many analog technologies such as record players, paper books/journals, and film photography are making a comeback in the digital age.

Not just a comeback, a very big comeback. I'm only two chapters into the book, but thus far Sax is arguing that we (humans) need to have some sort of connection to certain types of objects in order to have a connection. With digital technology, we can own "stuff", but they are just codes. Nothing we can hold. But if we have a vinyl record of Rubber Soul, we have something in our hands that represents that art.

I'm really enjoying the book thus far. I do find myself drawn to more analogy technologies recently. I try and listen to a record an evening. Cut down on my phone time, and watch DVDs instead of streaming. (I know DVDs are still digital, but you still can hold them in your hands.) I almost feel like I'm more connected to the analog/physical object than the digital.

I sense that this may be a future topic for my podcast series 'The Looking Glass'.

No comments: