Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading DC Comics Again

Photo Credit: www.gamespot.com
As Michael Corleone said in the Godfather Part III: "Just when I think I was out, they pull me back in." Well this is how I feel regarding DC Comics. When the new 52 was announced five or six years ago, I was excited at first. Then afterwards I sort of felt blah about it, and eventually I took a break from reading them, instead focusing on the absolutely fantastic Ghostbusters series at IDW.

Then about a year ago, DC announced "DC Rebirth", which at first I must admit, I was  very dismissive of. I thought it was just another reboot. Well over the course of a year I've read very positive reviews of the storylines, and thought maybe it was time I gave DC another shot.

So over the weekend, I went out and picked up the first graphic novel volume of Action Comics under the "Rebirth" banner. Yay, after I finished reading it last night,  I ended up buying four more volumes. They are so good, and serve as a great reminder as to why these characters are timeless.

I feel that DC comics really has something special happening right now, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Plus, it their "great mystery" of the Rebirth reset, which somehow involves the characters of the critically acclaimed graphic novel "The Watchman", is beyond fascinating and doesn't appear to be any closer to being solved anytime soon. Which I like. Give me a good storyline, and make it last awhile. It'll keep us interested.

So yeah, I know I sound like a commercial for DC Comics, but I highly recommend checking Rebirth out. It's making superhero comic books fun again.

No comments: