Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Stream of Random Thoughts for December 18th, 2016

1. I'm still recovering from the illness that first developed almost two weeks ago. It's remnant, a pretty substantial cough. But for me, the most upsetting part of this illness is the melancholy that accompanied it. Maybe it was the coldness that came or the disappointing news that hit me at work recently, but whatever it was, I was very melancholy throughout this illness. Luckily I have recovered, but it was rather surprising. One item that did help lift my spirits is when I reflected on all of the positive aspects and people in my life. Hence why I have made a note to myself to do more reflecting on a regular basis.

2. For my birthday I received a fantastic book entitled: "The Opposite of Loneliness" by Marina Keegan. Keegan was an aspiring writer who was killed in a car accident in 2012. This book is a collect that her writing teachers and family put together of some of her best work. It includes short stories, and essays on life.

There is a particular essay in the beginning portion of the book, also titled "The Opposite of Loneliness" in which Keegan discusses the fear she is experiencing with the thought of graduation from college. As she progresses in the essay, she wrote something that grabbed my attention big time. Towards the end of the essay, Keegan essential says, don't live in fear of not doing. Do! If you want to write, write.

I didn't realize until I read that sentence that I really needed to read it. It gave me a sense of encouragement that again I didn't know that I needed it until I read it, to continue with my storytelling and artistic pursuits. Sometimes that act of doing is far more important than the finished product. Again something I will remember for when I work on my podcast series.

3. This entry is very much like a journal. I wonder if that means I should get an actual journal. I love the idea of having one, but the thought of others seeing me writing in it, would probably cause me to be embarrassed. Which I shouldn't be, but I'm weird like that.

4. It had been over two weeks since I've read a book, and damn did it feel good pick one up. Can't allow for that amount of time to elapse like that again.

No comments: