Sunday, January 20, 2013

The End of Fringe, Alt-J, and My Cousin's Photo Project


This past Friday, one of my favorite TV shows, Fringe, came to an end. Fringe followed the adventures of Olivia Dunham, Peter Bishop, and Walter Bishop as they saved the world from strange anomalies. There are many things I enjoyed about Fringe. 1. The characters. All three main characters brought something unique to the show. Walter brought humor and heart to the show. Peter logic and bullheaded emotion. And finally Olivia brought you the viewer into the program. She was the anchor of the show. Fringe showcased Olivia as a strong, independent individual that did not need a man to save her. In fact, she saved the men quite a few times on the program. The character is a perfect example that an audience will welcome a strong female lead, and it was incredibly refreshing seeing a women character that wasn't helpless. 2. It was true to itself. Fringe is and was a corky/weird program. But it never tried to be anything that it wasn't. It always remained true to itself, and cared about the story it was telling. For that I think Fringe will go down as one of the best SciFi programs of the last 20 years. If you like shows that are great character pieces, engaging storylines, and a dry sense of humor, Fringe is definitely a show for you.

Also this week I was introduced to a band called Alt-J. Alt-J is a British indie rock/electronic band. They very much remind me of Radiohead, Thievery Corporation, and Muse. Every year it seems like I get into one new band. 2010 Frightened Rabbit. 2011 was NewVillager. 2012 was Titus Andronicus. I think this year maybe Alt-J. Below is a video of my favorite track off of their debut album An Awesome Wave. It is called Taro



Finally my cousin Matt has a really cool blog post of the 50 most interesting photos he took over 2012. The photos he showcases presents a wide variety of images. Photography is one thing I just could never quite get the handle of. I think I just don't have the eye for it. But Matt does. Be sure to visit his website spudart.org


No comments: