Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Good Music

When I was in college I worked at my university’s radio station. To say it was the best time of my life is an understatement. The friendships I formed when I worked there will last me a lifetime. But that is not the only gift my college radio station gave me.

It gave me the gift of expecting more of my music and my musical artists. While there I was exposed to different genres of music I never thought I would enjoy. Genres like folk and bluegrass, underground hip-hop, and jazz opened up a whole new world for me.

These various types of genres of music illustrated to me that music with a message is still out there; that not all music is superficial and about things in life that do not matter. There is still music that speaks of social justice and the beauty of the world. This is a gift that I will cherish for the rest of my life, expecting more. The thing is you have to be willingly to look for it because mainstream media are not playing it.

Some may call it being a music snob, but I do not see it like that. I see it as demeaning more, not just accepting everything that is handed to me and believing that it is good. Half the fun of music is digging deep and discovering that unknown artist that you can then tell your friends about.

Below are some artists I think you should check out.

William Elliott Whitmore: Diggin' My Grave

Cody Chestnutt: Look Good in Leather

Dave Bruebeck: Blue Rhonda al Turk

No comments: