Sunday, January 19, 2020

Missed Favorite Album of 2019

I am highly disappointed in myself. Upon reviewing my favorite albums of 2019 post, I discovered that I forgot to include one of my favorite albums of 2019. In fact, this album was my number favorite album of the year for a good portion of the year, making this oversight slightly embarrassing for me.




1-A. Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi: There Is No Other
There Is No Other is one of the most unique sounding albums I've heard in 2019. Giddens, along with Turrisi, craft an album that features the sounds of Middle Eastern, Eastern European, and American roots/folks music. What should be a clash of styles blends into this other worldly sound that sounds ancient yet modern at the same time. Giddens is the star of this record. From her lyrics to her banjo playing, she takes the listener on a spiritual journey on this album. This was my first complete album of hers that I've listened too, and I can't wait to dive deeper into her discography.

No comments: