Sunday, December 17, 2017

Thoughts on The Last Jedi

Photo Credit: Star Wars.com
This past week I saw the latest installment in the Star Wars saga: The Last Jedi. On a very quick side note, I really enjoy how over the past three years the release of a new Star Wars film has coincided with my birthday. Anyways, not to get into spoilers on the film, because not everyone has seen it yet, I'm not sure how I feel about the movie. Don't get me wrong, there were certainly elements to the film that I enjoyed very much. It's big, has some terrific battle sequences, and some really fun surprises.

But overall, I think my biggest "issue" was that it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie. It's difficult to explain without getting into the territory of spoilers, but all of the previous movies had a certain feel to them. You knew you were watching Star Wars. (Yes even the prequels had that feeling to them.) I don't know if I get that same feeling from Last Jedi. I know that I need to re-watch the film. For me, the fun of Star Wars has always been the swashbuckling element to the stories. They really felt like old 1930s serials set in space. For me at least, The Last Jedi felt very "serious". Which is fine. But personally, I just prefer the general sense of adventure. Star Wars always had that sense of escapism. I'm not sure Last Jedi has it for me.

1 comment:

Matt Maldre said...

When you are ready to talk spoilers, I'm game!

Interesting that you thought that this movie didn't feel like a Star Wars movie. A few thoughts maybe why you felt this way:
1) Not enough of a variety of worlds--but they were.
2) Not enough aliens. Almost all the main characters are humans. But the previous two movies (Rogue One and Force Awakens fell to the same predicament.)
3) Too much time in Ireland. This is related to thought 1 with the worlds. Maybe the Ireland world felt too much like Earth for you.