Monday, November 28, 2016

A Fun Radio Show Theme

Have you ever heard of: "The Black Album"? No I am not referring to the albums created by Metallica in the early 1990s or by Jay-Z in early 2000s. I'm referring to the incredibly mix cd collection that Ethan Hawk's character in the movie Boyhood gives to his son as a birthday present. First off, I'm a sucker for mix cds. The creativity that is put into making them is limitless. It really is one of the most thoughtful gifts that can be given to any hardcore music fan. Add to that The Beatles, and you've hooked me.

So my co-host on my radio show that airs on WXAV came up with an idea for us to do a "Black Album" themed show. She will be showcasing the hidden gems of John Lennon and Ringo Starr's solo catalogs, while I will feature Paul McCartney and George Harrison. I LOVE this idea. Anytime I get a reason to listen to any type of Beatles music is a good thing, but to showcase their hidden gems from their solo catalogs is a real treat.

I've made some ground rules for myself as I've begun preparing for this program.
1. No songs featured on any of their "classic solo records". So that means I will not be playing any music from such records such as: "All Things Must Pass, Band on the Run, Ram, Living in the Material World, McCartney, Traveling Wilbury's Vol. 1, etc.

2. Pick 5 lesser known albums from each, and listen to each of them in their entitreity leading up to the show. Find the underappreciated hidden gems from those records and then showcase them. It's very easy to always go back to All Things Must Pass because it is an amazing record, but how many of us truly appreciate the greatness that is 33 & 1/3?

3. Research the recording of each, and get as much information as possible. What's the stories behind each of these records? What was happening in George's life during the recording of Dark Horse? Why is Paul's Run Devil Run record so important? Each of these albums has a fascinating history, that should be explored more.

After careful consideration, I've made my five selections, which you can see below. If you want to hear these albums hidden gems, the stories behind their makings, and why I've selected these particular albums tune into 88.3FM if you on the south side of Chicago or www.wxav.com on Thursday December 1st from 8pm-10pmCST to hear all about it.

Paul McCartney
Press Play
Give My Regards to Broadway
Off the Ground
Run Devil Run
Memory Almost Full

George Harrison
33 & 1/3
George Harrison
Dark Horse
Brainwashed
Wonderwall Music

No comments: