Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie R.I.P.

I awoke this morning to the news that the one and only David Bowie had passed away over the weekend. Bowie was 69 years old, and had been battling cancer for about 18 months. Now I can't claim that I am the biggest David Bowie fan of all time, however I still appreciated his music. Bowie is one of those rare music figures that transcends genre, music style, and time. He belongs in the same breathe of John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Bach, Mozart, and Kurt Cobain.

Hearing the news of his death hit me particularly hard. Its like subconsciously I knew that music would never be the same, and this would be a moment I would remember for a long time. So throughout the day today, I've been listening to a TON of his music. And boy, was I missing out. It is brilliant. His new record Blackstar is this incredible fusion of jazz and hip-hop. He has all of these different styles that he incorporated through different stages of his career, that a music fan can be introduced to some many different styles of music by simply listening to David Bowie.

If you really haven't checked out his catalog, please do so.

No comments: