Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Phosphorescent Blues

punchbrothers.com
As I am writing this blog post, I am listening to the new album by The Punch Brothers, "The Phosphorescent Blues". This is their 4th full length album. And I must admit I am surprise I am a such a huge fan of this band. Growing up, I was so adamantly against "country" music, or bluegrass/folk music. I really don't know why.

However I am so very glad that I got over it. The Punch Brothers have very quickly become one of my favorite bands. So much so that, before I see them live for the first time on February 28th, I went out and bought every piece of music they have released.

If you have never heard of The Punch Brothers, I highly recommend you check them out. On their Wikipedia page, they are described as: "bluegrass instrumentation and spontaneity in the strictures of modern classical". I for one could not say it better myself. There are so many layers to this band. If you aren't listening to them carefully, you could easily mistake their music as classical music only being played "folksy".

Not only that, the lead singer plays the mandolin. The mandolin!!! How cool is that. Below is the lead single off of The Phosphorescent Blues. It's entitled: "I Blew It Off".

No comments: