Thursday, December 4, 2014

St. Vincent at the Chicago Theater.

Photo Credit: Me
Tuesday December 2nd, 2014 will be an important date for me musically. It's the date I saw St. Vincent for the first time. She was performing there as a part of WXRT's Holiday Bash. For the past seven years my musically advanced friend Gina has been telling me to check St. Vincent out. With great shame, I must admit that I did not heed her advice until earlier this year when St. Vincent's self-titled fourth album was released.

It was like an epiphany. Listening to that album for the first time was like hearing Arcade Fire, William Elliott Whitmore, or the Beatles for the first time. I was hooked, and vowed that I would see her live. So naturally I was incredibly excited back in October when this show was announced.

I'm still in the middle of processing her performance, but here is what I've concluded thus far.

1. St. Vincent is this generation's David Bowie. She is an artist in ever sense of the word, but you don't have to explain that. She just is. In fact after seeing her performance, there is little doubt in my mind that she will be added to the list of important artists.

2. Absolutely amazing live performance. During her hour and forty-five minute set, St. Vincent absolutely captivated her audience. From her two monologues on life, to running into the crowd, jumping on a gentleman's shoulders to finish a guitar solo, to her dance moves, your eyes never faltered from her. Add to all this activity she sounded impeccable.

3. Her catalog is much deeper than I originally imagined, and I cannot wait to discover all of the hidden treasures of her music that lie in front of me.

But one item really stands out. Before St. Vincent began her performance, there was an announcement asking the audience to refrain from taking pictures of the performance, and instead enjoy the moment. In a society that prides itself on our digital presence and the amount of "likes" or "followers" we can get, it was really refreshing to forget all of that and just enjoy the performance that was in front of us.

I for one will not forget it.

No comments: