Saturday, March 22, 2014

WWE Network: The Future of TV?

So my curiosity got the better of me, and I bought a six month subscription to the WWE network. After the first week or so, all of the bugs were fixed, and the network really came alive. So far it has lived up to its potential, and I've been absolutely glued to it.

It got me thinking. This is the future of TV. For $10 a month, I have full access to the PPV library of WWE, WCW, and ECW. (Every single PPV.) Original programming such as "The Legends of Wrestling" roundtable discussion show, WWE "Countdown", and the most controversial, in the cable companies opinion, live PPVs.

This is the first true step in OnDemand programming. The viewer is no longer shackled by cable companies, and their different pay scales. If you're a wrestling fan, this is the absolute best way to watch professional wresting, and even learn about the business. It will not hurt your pocket book like cable bills are beginning to. The WWE Network is a wrestling fan's dream come true.

 If I were companies like Disney, Warner Brothers, or any other entertainment company, I would be watching this very carefully. Instead of paying cable companies to deliver your product, why not deliver it yourself, and keep most of the subscription fees? Imagine a "Marvel" channel, or "DC" channel. The potential is limitless, and in my opinion is taking television in a new and exciting direction.

No comments: