Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Undertaker Out of Character

Since I was 7 years old, I have been a pro-wrestling fan. Growing up in the early 90s there were two camps of wresting fans. Hulk Hogan fans, or Ultimate Warrior fans. (You did have a few Macho Man fans, but he was a heel at that time, so it really doesn't count.) You were either one or the other. I must say, because I'm cool like that, that I was neither. I was an Undertaker fan. The first time I ever saw the Undertaker, he beat the crap out of the Ultimate Warrior and put him in a casket.

And IT WAS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!!! Over the years, I watched as the character evolved from gray gloves to purple gloves. Going it alone to forming the Ministry of Darkness. Until finally there was the biker Undertaker and the return of the deadman. During that time I never really thought of Mark Callaway being anything else other than The Undertaker. I came to see Callaway and The Undertaker as being one and the same.

Until my dad showed me these YouTube videos of The Undertaker raising money for a charity. In one of the videos, I think it's the first time I've ever heard The Undertaker call himself by his real name. I find it really neat to be able to see one of my childhood heroes be themselves. You don't get to see that very often, yet it is a nice reminder that they are human just like you. At the same time, he will always be The Undertaker.



3 comments:

Matt Maldre said...

Mark Calaway gave an interview back in 2002. The youtube videos are split up into three parts. I think the most interesting one is part three where he talks about Sean Michaels and the Big Show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8XNMDyStFk

Also, I'm curious that he's doing an ad for Lake Hills Church. Does he attend this church?

Matt Maldre said...

*excuse me. Shawn Michaels.

Chi-Town Kid 83 said...

I think he does. His wife, Michelle McCool is a member of the church. I will have to watch that video.